Thomas F. Duchen
▪ Expert Witness ▪ Strategic Litigation Consulting ▪ Cable Television and Telecommunications ▪ Business Development
▪ Federal, State and Local Regulations ▪ Mergers and Acquisitions Document Review
▪ Public, Educational and Governmental Channel Legal Support
Key Business and Legal executive with more than 26 years of proven results. In the context of complex projects, developed business and legal strategies with respect to negotiating, drafting and finalizing complex and lengthy franchises, agreements and other legal documents. Worked with in-house counsel, City and County Attorneys, law firms, municipal staff and elected officials.
Ongoing client representation and new clients in the cable and telecommunications areas, including private and public sector, wireless matters, institutional network, cable franchise renewals, cable franchise transfers and other mission critical events. Works closely with clients to identify objectives, formulate strategies and implement action plans to achieve desired results. Extensive experience in the following areas:
CABLE TELEVISION AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS EXPERIENCE
River Oaks Communications Corporation, Colorado Springs, CO1987- Present
PRESIDENT - BUSINESS AND LEGAL EXECUTIVE / CO-FOUNDER
Utilizes extensive business and legal experience in the cable television and telecommunications industries to manage diverse projects for clients, utilizing familiarity of the Cable Acts and Telecommunications Act in the course of operational, transactional and regulatory issues. Works with local governments, K-12 schools, a university, community college, library district, School for the Deaf and the Blind, and private and public corporations; this work has been done at the corporate level covering 37 states. Serves as Team Leader to manage projects to achieve desired objectives. Speaker at national, state and regional conferences.
- Represented Redmond, Washington - the home of Microsoft - in its cable television franchising matters for over 13 years.
- Successfully provided strategic consulting and serviced as an Expert for a national accounting firm in complex $500 Million dollar litigation.
- Conducted Needs Ascertainment studies, forums and focus groups with local governments, schools, libraries and the public in many states.
- Worked on numerous Non-Disclosure Agreements in a variety of transactions.
- Along with the Vice President, reviewed hundreds of franchises and other agreements during the past 26 years.
- Produced millions of dollars in annual revenue for clients by successfully drafting cable television franchises -- some examples include Redmond, Washington; El Paso County, Colorado; Eagle County, Colorado; and Larimer County, Colorado.
- Successfully participated in the drafting of an IPTV (Video) Services Agreement as a Team Member on behalf of the Telecommunications Regulatory Board of Puerto Rico.
- Assisted with the sale of cable systems across the USA, including performing document due diligence on a $100-$200 million M&A project.
- Assisted in training T-Mobile's contractors and employees with respect to presentations to local governments with regard to zoning, site development, land use and other wireless related matters.
- Created multiple opportunities with the national cable industry by leveraging a team of executives and critical business relationships for a publicly traded cyber-security company.
- Selected as a key team member by one of the most prestigious national engineering firms to work on feasibility studies for Midwestern communities for telecommunications projects.
- Successfully negotiated and drafted cable agreements involving a telephone company (Verizon) and franchise transfers involving a telephone company (Frontier Communications) with respect to cable television franchise development and franchise transfers for several communities in the State of Washington.
- Represented a Paul Allen company in potential overbuild situations in California to provide competitive voice, video and data services against incumbent providers such as Comcast and Time Warner.
- Initiated and drafted original cable television agreements with Adelphia, Comcast, Falcon Broadband, CenturyTel in Eagle County, Colorado, and CenturyLink in El Paso County, Colorado.
- Nationally recognized for preparing complex agreements between local governments and the cable–wireless industry by utilizing extensive experience in handling critical regulatory matters including the review and drafting of Wireless Ordinances in the State of Washington.
- Created and enabled the foundation for new cable television franchises in the State of Washington by supporting a Consortium of Washington communities in extensive negotiations with Comcast involving 40-50 franchise issues.
- Successfully impacted City Council and County recommendations and approvals and provided advice across the USA by delivering compelling and innovative presentations.
- Ensured contractual compliance and that contracted cable and telecommunications providers pay appropriate compensation for the use of Rights-of-Way.
- Facilitated cell tower/antenna construction from a regulatory/aesthetic standpoint and expanded provider networks by authoring innovative local government wireless ordinances and developing a concise methodology.
- Enabled T-Mobile's entry into growing business segments by serving as a liaison with many highly influential national and local government organizations and paving the way to improve and nurture relationships with government organizations.
- Successfully created numerous franchise agreements establishing a balance of private and public sector interests involving hundreds of municipalities.
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE AS AN ATTORNEY AT PHELPS DUNBAR IN NEW ORLEANS (1978-1981) AND AT MARRIOTT CORPORATION IN THE WASHINGTON, D.C. AREA (1981-1984). WORKED AS DIRECTOR OF INCOME PROPERTY AT GATES LAND COMPANY IN COLORADO SPRINGS, A SUBSIDIARY OF THE GATES CORPORATION, WHICH OWNED 3,000 ACRES (1984-1987).
"Handbook of Wireless Communications" - National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors, contributing author.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Juris Doctor degree, 1978
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
Bachelor of Arts degree in History, 1975
Phi Beta Kappa
CURRENT LICENSE AND ASSOCIATION
The State of Colorado, Admitted to Practice Law
University of Virginia Law Alumni Association -- in 2013, 1978 University of Virginia School of Law Reunion Committee
National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors