Robert M. Duchen
▪ Strategic Litigation Consulting ▪ Telecommunications Expertise ▪ Project and Team Leadership
▪ Federal, State and Local Regulations ▪ Marketing ▪ IT/IP Legal Support
▪ Mergers and Acquisitions Document Review
Top legal and business executive with more than 26 years of success in strategy creation, legal management and business development. As a key member of the Executive Team, skillfully navigates challenges in corporate settings, at the negotiating table and on complex projects. A trusted partner and solid communicator who creates positive change and drives profitable corporate growth.
Leverages business and legal acumen to build relationships with management, division personnel and peers. Utilizes long-standing relationships to bring benefits from external partners. Collegial and a master strategist and persistent advocate. Wields finely tuned consensus management methodologies and crafts favorable agreements in mission critical situations. Deep legal and operations experience. Extensive qualifications in the following competencies:
CABLE TELEVISION AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS EXPERIENCE
River Oaks Communications Corporation, Centennial, CO1987- Present
VICE PRESIDENT - BUSINESS AND LEGAL EXECUTIVE / CO-FOUNDER
Ascertains client needs and interests. Conducts business and legal consulting, working directly with executives. Leverages extensive knowledge of federal laws and regulatory rules to drive initiatives. Works with local governments, national carriers and private sector across 37 states. Also serves as Team Leader, managing projects to meet desired parameters. Accomplished speaker at National, State and Regional Conferences.
- Worked closely with a number of broadband providers, including Charter, throughout the United States.
- Expert in $500 million litigation involving the sale of cable systems and historical subscriber values.
- Developed IT / IP Contracts for a software company that works with MSOs.
- Established a relationship with a fast-growing accounting/consulting firm to approach cable companies to provide revenue assurance/recovery and process assessment.
- Drafted and negotiated multi-million dollar contracts.
- Worked on Non-Disclosure Agreements in a variety of settings.
- Delivered hundreds of thousands of dollars in litigation avoidance by implementing best practices projects for T-Mobile.
- Produced $4.5 million in annual revenue by drafting Denver’s cable TV franchise and conducting negotiations.
- Delivered millions of dollars of value as a result of negotiating high profile agreements.
- Assisted with the sale of cable systems across the USA, and lauded for successfully performing document due diligence on this $100-$200 million M&A project.
- Enabled the largest phone company in Puerto Rico to sell IPTV (video) services by successfully drafting and negotiating a time-sensitive agreement as a Team Member for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- Enabled a large Texas Electric Cooperative client to quickly hire the correct vendor to further secure operations/ IT systems by developing a Cyber Security Agreement.
- Nationally recognized for executing complex agreements between local governments and the cable–wireless industry by utilizing extensive experience in handling critical regulatory matters.
- Created and enabled the foundation for a new cable tv franchise in Denver by supporting the City of Denver in determining the needs and interests of key stakeholders; this project impacts over 125,000 cable subscribers.
- Created multiple opportunities with the national cable industry by leveraging a team of execuitves and critical business relationships for a publicly traded cyber-security company.
- Selected as a key team member by one of the most prestigious national engineering firms to work on feasibility studies for Midwestern communities.
- Successfully influenced City Council attendees’ recommendations and provided advice across the USA by delivering compelling and innovative presentations.
- Ensured all contracted telecommunications providers pay the appropriate compensation by assisting the City of Philadelphia to develop a right-of-way fee structure.
- Facilited cell tower/antenna construction from a regulatory/aesthetic standpoint and expand provider networks by authoring innovative local government wireless ordinances and developing a concise methodology.
- Successfully created innumerable franchise agreements establishing a balance of private and public sector interests involving hundreds of municipalities.
- Retained by RCN, a Paul Allen company (co-founder of Microsoft), and helped this player gain access to the cable TV marketplace in Beverly Hills.
- Enabled T-Mobile’s entry into growing business segments by serving as a liaison with many highly influential national and local government organizations and paving the way to improve and nurture relationships with government organizations.
Additional experience as an Attorney and Assistant Corporate Secretary at Jones Intercable, Inc.,Formerly one of the 10 largest cable companies in the United States: specializing in operations, franchise as well as local and federal regulatory matters; drafted, negotiated and finalized agreements on operational matters and sales of cable systems. Successfully interacted with executives and field offices.
Specific Real Estate and Oil & Gas Experience
Vice President - General Counsel/Member of Executive Team at Medema Homes, formerly one of the largest real estate companies in Colorado. Led Legal Department, specialized in commercial documents and litigation matters; worked directly with Executive Team and Home Office to expand the business.
Operations and Corporate Attorney at Getty Trading and Transportation Company, formerly Western Crude Oil, served as In-house legal advisor on pipeline operations matters; responsible for staying current on FERC announcements and Developments in federal publications; review and finalize transactional agreements. Additionally served as General Counsel of two pipeline companies, Osage and Chisholm, jointly owned by Getty and other oil companies.
“Is Your Community Ready to Begin the Cable Franchise Renewal Process?” Colorado Municipalities Magazine
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Juris Doctor degree, 1978
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
Bachelor of Arts degree in History, 1975
Phi Beta Kappa